Friday, June 12, 2009

The Greats

June 11




I finished reading F. Scott Fizgerald's The Great Gatsby. I was excited to read a book taking place during the Jazz Age. I will admit I was a little disappointed. A depressing book about discontentment and dishonesty. Thank goodness, there's more to life. I did find quite a few new words I hope to add to my vocabulary soon. Well, after I find out what they mean. Such as:

contralto deepest female voice. Range between a tenor and mezzo-soprano.
dilatory slow; intended to delay
genially friendly
ingratiate to establish self in the favor or good graces of others, by deliberate effort
ineffable incapable of being expressed or described in words
meretricious alluring by a show of flashy or vulgar attractions
nebulous hazy, vague, indistinct, or confused
jonquils having long, narrow, rushlike leaves and fragrant, yellow or white flowers
vestige mark, trace, or visible evidence of something no longer present or in existence

My favorite silly line of the book follows....
"I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it
might sober me up to sit in a library."


I also went on a the Great Shopping Trip with Anna. It was short. But, we found some delicious things.





LOVE
Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment