Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Menu Board

April...spring is in the air, actually in Texas its more like summer.  And as well as bringing the heat, April is also the start of red cycle for David's platoon.  What is red cycle?  I do not know.  There are so many terms in the military and I'm still pretty new to all this stuff.  What I do know is that David has gate guard duty for the next 3 months.  Its been a little frustrating because there really is no set schedule and we just hope that he'll get at least one day off each week.  This is where not having a job is a very positive thing.  Some wives barely get to see their men.  With these odd hours and disrupted schedule I decided I needed a project to focus on.  I've been planning on getting my apartment more organized to make life and eventually moving easier.

My first and to be honest, probably the most unnecessary project is a menu board.  My mom always planned out a weekly menu and I like to as well, but putting a piece of paper on the fridge just wasn't cutting it.  I looked up some menu boards on Pinterest for inspiration and this is what I came up with....

You'll need:
  • 8x10 (or larger) frame- $1
  • scrapbook paper- $  .26 
  • sticker letters- $2.39
  • 4 magnets (6 strength level)- $1.99
  • any ribbon, stickers, buttons or whatever embellishments you want
  • strong glue
                   = this only cost me $5.64
Gather your supplies



  
Make any embellishments your little heart desires.  I am not an artist so I drew the best coffee mug I could and cut it out before tracing it on the fun kitchen appropriate paper I had on hand.

Figure out your layout.  I cut out the stickers so I could really see how they would fit.  To make this craft even cheaper cut out your own letters from scrapbook paper.

Before attaching anything make sure it all fits in your frame how you want it to.  I used hot glue to attach the ribbon, mug, and buttons.

 
Once you have it all put together glue a magnet on each corner of the frame.  I used gorilla glue and let it sit over night.

Get yourself a dry erase marker and plan away!
*Cherise

1 comment:

  1. Holy Mackerel, I haven't read the internet forever and here you've been blogging up a storm! And quoting John Avery Whittaker!
    you're the best

    ReplyDelete