Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cilantro Chicken & Creamy Avocado Pasta


We got a table.  After almost two years of being a "Sadie, Sadie married lady" we finally have a proper place to sit down and eat supper.  Its a small thing, but we couldn't exactly fit anything larger in this apartment.  

I wanted our first meal together to be a little special.  I brought out the damask place mats, cloth napkins, and even our crystal champagne glasses that we registered for as a wedding gift despite the fact neither of us had ever purchased champagne in our lives.  I for one hadn't even tried it.  Actually my first taste of any alcohol whatsoever was on our honeymoon.  A watermelon margarita.  I gagged.  But hey, I like having pretty glasses, sue me. 



Now for the menu, it wasn't exactly fancy.  Actually it was quite simple and fast.  There were two recipes I wanted to try that had some common ingredients and I thought why not put them together.  Let me just tell you the creamy avocado sauce is a-ma-zaa-zing!  David can't wait to have it again.  The chicken went quite well with the pasta and rounded it out a bit, adding some necessary protein.

Cilantro Chicken
 from the Taste of Home website
*I halved this recipe for the 2 of us, but its supposed to serve 4

Ingredients: 
  
   - 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 in. cubes
   -1/2 tsp. salt
   -1/2 tsp. ground cumin
   -1/4 tsp. pepper
   -4 Tbsp. butter, divided (I used EVOO, its healthier)
   -2 large onions, sliced (Make sure to get mild onions and slice them small, or maybe even use less)
   -1/2 C. lemon juice
   -1/4 C. minced fresh cilantro

Directions:
  1. Sprinkle chicken with salt, cumin, and pepper.  In a large skillet over med heat, cook and stir the chicken in 2 Tbsp. butter (or EVOO) until no longer pink.  Remove and keep warm.
  2. In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining butter until tender and golden brown.  Return chicken to the pan.  Stir in lemon juice and cilantro; bring to a boil. 

15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta
Serves 2

Ingredients:

   -1 med. ripe avocado, pitted
   -1/2 a lemon juiced
   -2-3 garlic cloves
   -1/2 tsp. salt
   -1/4 C. fresh basil  (I haven't started my basil plant yet, so I just used a couple dashes of dried basil)
   -2 Tbsp.  EVOO
   -2 servings of pasta 

Directions:
  1. Bring several cups of water to boil in a medium sized pot and cook pasta according to packaged directions.
  2. Place the garlic, lemon juice, and EVOO in a food processor.  Process until smooth.  Add in the avocado, basil, and salt.  Process until smooth and creamy.
  3. Drain and rinse the pasta and toss with the sauce until combined. 

Doesn't it look so creamy and delicious? 


Then I just topped the pasta with some chicken and we were good to go!




Easy Peasy.  Make this!!!!


*Cherise

No comments:

Post a Comment