Monday, April 16, 2012

In like a lion...out like a lion

Does it feel like March?  Isn't March supposed to be the crazy unstable month.  The windy one day, raining the next...snowing the day after that and then back to 80 degrees of loveliness month?  March was normal in St. George.  This month, this month of April, has  been the every-changing month.  Just today I sat outside at Starbucks sipping my cafe vanilla frapp while talking to an old college friend while we soaked in all that vitamin D.  Tonight I stood outside with my friend Margo as we stood in awe of the perfect weather St. George nights bring.  We schemed and planned summer BBQs, southern night dinners, a Hunger Games dinner party, and those late night bike rides.  I can't wait for summer!  But, the days have not been all so lovely.  Just this weekend we had four days of rain.  I honestly don't mind the rain, as it brings a much needed change in environmental dynamic.  But the wind... no thanks.  It brought back memories of the barren windy lands of Wyoming.  Here's the good: the wind and rain encouraged me to bring out a cookbook I've had for a while (Do you do that?  Buy cookbooks, look through them, but rarely use them), and cooked up a soup I had marked off to try. Here's a white chilly.  There are things I would add next time, but this makes for a great base. I paired this soup with a fiesta cornbread.  The sweet and spicy cornbread was perfect to soak up the rich white chili with all those earthy beans. 


Creamy White Chili
Janelle Dixon from Gooseberry Patch Family Recipes
 

Ingredients - Serves 6 to 8
* 1 T. vegetable oil
*1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed [I'll try a spicy turkey sausage next]
*1 onion chopped [is anything better than a food processor?]
*14 0z. chicken broth
*2 (15.8 oz) Great Northern beans - drained and rinsed
*2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
*1 1/2 t. garlic powder
*1 t. salt
*1 t. ground cumin
*1/2 t. dried oregano
*8 oz sour cream [I used light to try to cut calories...you'll see why]
*1 C. whipping cream [that's why]
*2 C. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese [I used a Colby & Monterey Jack Mix]
Side Note #1:  I would absolutely add corn in the future, and whatever other veggies I have on hand.
Side Note #2:  Perfect crock pot meal, let it hang out.


1.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium.  Add chicken and onions and saute 10 minutes or until chicken is done.  Set aside.
2.  Combine broth, beans, chiles and seasonings in a pot.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
[or let it hang out in the crock-pot]
3.  Add chicken and onions, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
4.  Add sour cream and whipping cream stirring well.
5.  Top each serving with your shredded cheese.


Fiesta Cornbread
Kathryn Harris
Ingredients Serves 6-9
*1 C. yellow cornmeal
* 3/4 t. baking soda
*1/2 t. salt
*1 C. buttermilk
*8 1/4 oz creamed corn
*2 eggs beaten
*2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
*1 onion chopped
* 1/4 C vegetable oil
*1 1/2 C. sharp Cheddar cheese

1.  Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl.  
2.  Add buttermilk and next 4 ingredients, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
3.  Heat oil in a 9" cast iron skillet; spoon half the batter in.
4.  Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
5.  Poor remaining batter over top.
6.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
7. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes.

Confession:  I forgot to buy cornmeal, but I happened to have a boxed mix of cornbread on hand....so use your little imaginations and guess what I used.  Yes, the mix.  I followed the box directions with the oil and egg.  I also didn't get any jalapenos, but used some of the left over green chiles from the soup.

So I sat down with my bowl of creamy white chili and sweet cornbread and watched a few episodes of my newest addiction.  I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I started watching the last season of CMT's Sweet Home Alabama.  We all have our guilty pleasures...  Enjoy!


 LOVE
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment