Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Gluten Free Chex Mix

I am a snacker.  I especially enjoy crunchy, salty snacks.  Most of them are no longer an option with my diet.  Its probably for the best.  But when I found myself craving a bag of Chex Mix, I had an idea.  Why not make my own with the necessary adjustments?  And that is what I did.  


I adapted this recipe from the Original Chex Party Mix  

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/2 C. square corn cereal
  • 4 1/2 C. square rice cereal
  • 1 C. raw almonds
  • 1 C. GF pretzel type thing
  • 6 Tbsp. Smart Balance
  • 2 Tbsp. GF tamari
  • 1 tsp. Lawry's seasoning salt
  • 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (opt.)


Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 250.  
  2. In a large bowl mix the first 4 ingredients.  
  3. In a small microwaveable bowl melt the Smart Balance about 30 seconds or until its completely melted then stir in the seasonings.
  4. Pour over the cereal mixture and stir it all up until every little piece is coated.
  5. Lay it out on a large rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan and bake for 1 hr, stirring every 15 min.
  6. Let it dry/cool on a paper towel for about 15 min to avoid any pieces getting soggy.
 

The first time I made this I only did half a batch.  Big mistake, it was all gone the next day.  But it definitely satisfied my salt food craving. 

*Cherise 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were gluten-free Jessica! I went gluten-free almost 4 years ago!! So glad I did too! I feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm not. My sister (Cherise) and I share this blog, and this is her post. She is the gluten free lady. It seems there are a lot of you people out there :) haha who knew?! You'll have to try out the snack mix for those salty days!

      Delete