Saturday, May 26, 2012

Gnarly Gnocchi

Well, we've taken a bit of a hiatus it seems.  I don't know about Cherise, but I believe my lack of blogability has been due to the end of the school year.  Yes, I did say THE END.  Made it through year 6.  Sometimes I feel like I'm to young to have been working at one place for SIX years. Yikes!  Where did the time go.  But alas, I made it through and am now going to enjoy every bit of summer I can between homework and Benjas.  More on summer later....


Two Peas and Their Pod  has been a new and exciting find for me.  Great photography and great food.  I found this recipe for a crispy gnocchi that I just had to try!  My first experience with gnocchi was at Olive Garden.  I still remember the day, I was having lunch with one of my youth group girls before she left for college and I ordered this delicious chicken that sat atop this hearty potato nugget called gnocchi; the whole thing was bathing in a buttery cream sauce.  Love.  I fell in love with gnocchi that day.....and we lived happily ever after.

Crispy Gnocchi


-Gnocchi [I found mine at Target]
-EVOO [for frying]
-Pesto [store bought or homemade]..... 
I have a sad story about my basil that I'll save for another day...
-Parmesan [for the sprinkling]


1.  Cook Gnocchi according to package directions in salted boiling water and drain completely. 
[don't forget that water + hot oil = hot oil spitting at you = ouch!]
2. Heat EVOO over medium-high heat and place gnocchi in one layer on the skillet.
3.  Let those babies sizzle in that hot oil until they get all crispy and brown on one side. It will take about 3-4 minutes.  Turn over and repeat.

4.  Drain from oil, pat dry with a bit of paper towel and then toss with pesto while the gnocchi are still crispy and hot.  Sprinkle an extra bit of parm on top and then dig in to this delightful dish.

LOVE,
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I didn't know you could get gnocchi in a box. I've been scared of making them because they look hard, like making your own ravioli and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to try your own gnocchi version. I have mine in the freezer somewhere, waiting for some new inspiration to use them with. Johnsons + carbs = love. You know it. haha

    ReplyDelete