Thursday, March 29, 2012

Mashed Cauliflower

The weather the past couple of days has been warm but dreary.  Now that leave is over and David is back to work I'm trying to re-adjust to being home alone all day.  I'm surprised how much I miss having a job.  I'm a total homebody and I hate starting a new job, but even I see how ridiculous it is for a woman with no kids to not have a job.  There just isn't enough to do.  But I'm trying.  I've been spending my time looking for recipes with foods I can actually eat.  Cauliflower seems to be pretty popular right now.  I've seen it as a pizza crust, blended, mashed, baked, you name it.  I'm not really a fan of cauliflower, but these recipes got me curious.  So with all this time I have, I decided to give cauliflower a chance.  The rain and the gloom inspired me to make a comforting bowl of mashed cauliflower.  I was pleasantly surprised with how good this turned out.  I can imagine how much better it would be with butter, sour cream or cream cheese, but with this diet, it was good enough for me.





Mashed Cauliflower
 I found this recipe at Comfy Belly but added a few changes

Ingredients:

  • 1 med. head of cauliflower
  • 1 large clove of garlic, minced (I added more because I loooove garlic)
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. thyme (opt.)
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (opt.)
  • 1/4 C. almond milk (or any milk, unsweetened)
  • 3/4 C. water
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Cut off the stock and chop the cauliflower into smallish pieces (it'll blend up easier with out big chunks) and put them in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add the garlic, salt, olive oil, thyme, and red pepper to the bowl.  Mix until cauliflower is evenly coated.
  4. Spread the cauliflower out on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 min. or until the edges start turning brown.
  5. Remove cauliflower from oven and place in a blender.
  6. Warm the milk and water (I put them in my Pyrex measuring glass and microwave for 30 seconds-1 min.).
  7. Add liquid to the blender and blend until smooth.
Serves: 4 or so

No comments:

Post a Comment